When it comes to hair care, we all have specific needs. Some of us use products that hydrate moisture-starved locks; there are some that use shampoos specifically formulated for colour treated hair; then there are still some who use a combination of shampoos, conditioners and hair masks, to hydrate, repair damage and even treat dandruff?hair-care routines are endless, and more importantly, ever-changing.
However, there′s one aspect that remains constant, no matter what your daily hair care regimen?the use of sulphate-free products. But before we get into the benefits of going sulphate-free with your hair-care routine, let′s first understand what sulphates are.
Sulphates, or SLS (sodium lauryl sulphate), SLES (sodium laureth sulphate), ALS (ammonium laureth sulphate) are low-cost, but potent surfactants or sudsing agents, that companies use as an inexpensive ingredient in their shampoos and conditioners. They contain salts and chemicals which tend to dry out your hair cuticles and follicles, while also causing severe damage to your scalp. Apart from drying and damaging your hair, sulphates tend to shorten the lifespan of chemical procedures like colour, perming, straightening or any other treatment. Moreover, studies have shown that products which contain sulphates can destroy the natural fats in your body that help moisturise your skin as they travel down, even when you do something as simple as rinse out the shampoo from your hair.
1. Sulphates strip away the natural oils: If you′s ve given yourself a hot oil head massage, using a shampoo which contains sulphates is a great way to thoroughly cleanse the hair. However, if used every day, they can prove to be too harsh, especially if you have dry hair. When the scalp is too dry, your body will work overtime to compensate from the dry scalp, and produce more oil, leading to limp and greasy tresses.
2. Sulphates reduce the lifespan of chemically-processed hair: Whether you′s ve had an expensive colour treatment, straightened your hair or opted for the cysteine treatment to relax frizzy hair, using a shampoo with sulphates will shorten the lifespan, eventually making it a waste of your time and hard-earned money. Moreover, chemically-treated hair needs extra care, and going sulphate-free can help lock in moisture, leaving you with hair that′s soft, silky, and manageable.
3. Sulphate-free products are great for sensitive scalps: The harsh nature of shampoos and conditioners with sulphates, cause irritation and itchiness to those with sensitivity issues. This calls for extra care, as going sulphate-free can reduce itching, flaking scalp and redness. Your hair and scalp will thank you for it.
4. Sulphate-free products tame the frizz: If you′s re in the habit of using shampoos and conditioners with sulphates, you′s re exposing your already-stressed hair to further damage. In addition to drying out your hair, products that contain sulphates make your hair prone to frizziness, and lending your tresses that untamed, unruly and unkempt look.
5. Sulphate-free products prevent split ends and breakage: If you have fine hair, or it′s brittle and prone to breakage, it′s wise to switch to a sulphate-free formula for your hair care products. If that′s not all, split ends add to the dull, frizzy head of hair, making your hair look more damage than it may actually be. Using a formula that′s free of sulphates and parabens can be gently on your hair and scalp, and go a long way in repairing damage.
5 Ways to Dry Herbs
Yoga Heals More than Just Your Body
Study finds dramatic weight loss can be achieved WITHOUT counting calories
How to exercise outdoors, when the smogs a killer
This is how many calories your tea and coffee habit is adding to your diet EVERY DAY
Why most people use emotional words to persuade others
How to Set Weight-Loss Goals You Can Actually Achieve
Why and how exercises reduce the risk of CANCER?
★5 superfoods to combat hair loss
★How mood and eating behaviour are connected
★Outdoor Activities to Lose Weight
★Healthiest Foods For Women
★Red Heart Tea Recipe
★12 Real Amazing Benefits Of Skipping For Weight Loss
★5 most surprising cosmetic surgery trends across the globe
★Yoga Asanas To Prevent Hair Loss
★The Key to Healthy Aging
★Cancer warning over skin bleaching treatment
★Daylight Savings Time: That miserable time of year when many mourn loss of one-hour sleep
★5 Ways to Dry Herbs
★Study reveals alarming dangers of anti-ageing jabs
★Just ten minutes of play a day can help children reduce their risk of developing heart disease and diabetes later in life
★Brain health food guide for older adults
★Natural Herbal Gummies
★Everyday Medications You Should Never Take When You Exercise
★8 Time-Saving Meal Prep Ideas Nutritionists Actually Use
★5 Hot Yoga Poses For Rapid Weight Loss
★Natural Ways to Remove Blackheads on Face and Nose
★How To Achieve The Perfect Nail Shape
★5 Tips to Take Care of Your Sensitive Skin
★Best and Worst Drinks for Weight Loss
★Learn How To Do Pearl Facial At Home To Get Naturally Glowing Skin Instantly
★Plum goodness for your hair!
★Daily consumption of tea protects the elderly from cognitive decline
★Weight-lifting and protein shakes rich in growth hormones may make you bald
★4 Foolproof Tips to Make Healthy Veggie Chips at Home
★Working It Out: The future of work and digital
★9 Super Simple Exercises to Reduce Belly Fat
★Does ginger gene offer key to younger looking skin?
★5 Skincare resolutions for 2019 that you must keep
★Mans lips exploded after he became 'addicted' to fillers
★Can high heels give you cancer?
★Soda, pizza and salty food up liver disease in kids: Study
★Grean tea could help get rid of acne
★This One Exercise Helps You Become a Better Runner
★15 Best Heart-Healthy Foods
★5 DIY masks for your various hair concerns
★Wash Your Face with Oil
★A platter full of seafood
★12 Benefits of Hair Spa Treatment
★Those who consume fruit and vegetables have a 40% lower risk of an incurable lung disease
★5 Common Mistakes that May Ruin Your Skin
★Breathe Right to Live a Healthier and Better Life
★Skin tone linked to fruit and vegetable consumption
★Eat more fruit and veg for a longer life
★5 Effective Baba Ramdev Yoga Asanas To Increase Height
★Legumes, nuts and kale can help you get big muscles
★Take care of your coloured hair with Wella